Wednesday, July 14, 2010

In My Shoes Joins Arizona's Children Association Family of Agencies

The boards of directors of Arizona’s Children Association and In My Shoes proudly announce that In My Shoes has joined the Arizona’s Children Association family of agencies. The merger became effective July 1, 2010.

In My Shoes, is a Tucson-based, not-for-profit organization whose mission is to ensure that young people experiencing out-of-home care will be supported through their transitional years to develop the competencies to realize their potential as adults. In My Shoes was created by foster care alumni and representatives from the Young Adult Program, Casey Family Programs and the Tucson Foster Care Alumni and the Tucson Helping Our People Excel (H.O.P.E.) Council. In My Shoes offers one on one mentoring, group mentoring, signature events including a sibling picnic, and training and events that create awareness about the issues that face youth in foster care.

Christa Drake, executive director of In My Shoes, was its first employee in 2003. Christa and program coordinator, Eshawn Peterson, were once raised in the foster care system, as are all of the mentors and club facilitators for the agency. "The In My Shoes community began with a small group of alumni whose shared experiences of foster care allowed them to be a family," said Christa. "Kids in foster care dream of having a bigger family, and this merger with Arizona's Children Association will help us grow our family of brothers and sisters in foster care across the state."

For AzCA CEO Fred Chaffee, the fit for AzCA and In My Shoes is a natural. "The voice of youth in foster care needs to be heard by all of us and now it will," said Fred. "In My Shoes brings powerful voices and programs to support youth in reaching their potential." In My Shoes joins the Arizona’s Children Association family of agencies which includes Child Haven, Golden Gate Community Center, Las Familias, New Directions Institute for Infant Brain Development, The Parent Connection and Southern Arizona Center Against Sexual Assault.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the satisfying info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    charity

    ReplyDelete